The Klymit Air Frame was designed for movement. The Air Frame is the solution to allow you to move more comfortably on the trail by replacing the removable pack frame in your current pack and replacing it with ours.
Air Frame Technology:
- Lighter- at 56g the Klymit Air Frame is a fraction of the weight of most pack support systems.
- Stiffer- by utilizing our proven lightweight fabrics we can achieve incredibly strong structures supported by pressurized air.
- Optimal Load Transfer- at only 1 in. thick, the Klymit Air Frame keeps the load very close to your back for direct transfer to the hips.
- Allows you to MOVE- climb, contort, and even tie your shoes easily.
- More comfortable- conforms to the shape of your back, dampens vibrations, decreases fatigue.
- Increased adjustability- For each individual pursuit, you can change the pressure and dial in your stiffness/ flexibility and optimize your pack for the situation and load.
Who Cares? Why?
Problem: Backpack frames are rigid and designed to transfer load directly to the hips, but because they are rigid they only transfer directly when the body is in one, or a limited number of positions. Load transfer to the hips fails under movement and contortion of the human body. Nearly all major pack manufacturers have attempted to solve this problem with swivels and pivots, and thus compromising load stability during movement. Pack frames are heavy, inefficient under many conditions, and due to the advances in lightweight camping gear, much of the weight of a backpack load is the pack itself.
Solution: Using superlight fabrics and pressurized air Klymit has developed a backpack frame that transfers the load to the hips even under movement and contortion of the body in a wider variety of conditions. It allows the user to decrease their pack weight yet increase comfort and pack rigidity at the same time. The weight of the Air Frame is 3.2 oz.
Unique aspects of the Klymit Air Frame
- This is the first framesheet that has a positive correlation with load. At up to 40 pounds the framesheet gets stiffer as the backpack load increases.
- Under medium to high pressures (2-4 psi) the framesheet resists horizontal collapse, allowing for chambers of air to maintain vertical orientation and allow gravity to force pressure downward directly to the hips for optimum load transfer.
- This is the first framesheet that is vertically rigid to maximize load transfer, but compliant during motion and conforms with the human body during strenuous activity, allowing malleability for big adventures or simple tasks like tying your shoes.
- This framesheet was designed to increase comfort while decreasing weight, and to sacrifice nothing in rigidity or load carrying capability.
Body Mapping Technology:
Body Mapping: Klymit sleeping pads are revolutionary in that they mirror the human anatomy. They provide a sleeping surface designed specifically to offer more comfort and a better night’s sleep whether you sleep on your back, your side, or your stomach. We have created two luxurious body maps:
Pressure Point Body Map: This acclaimed minimalist body mapping technique has been winning over backpackers since its introduction in 2010. The Klymit Inertia camping pads comfortably support all the places your body touches a sleeping surface. The remaining areas are removed to minimize weight, allow for breathability and enhance warmth. And the loft pockets, side rails, and built in pillow on the Inertia XL further enhance the body mapping feature. Now, consider the ability to customize the pressure and you’ll find that the result is some of the most comfortable camping pads on the market. Our Inertia O Zone pad takes pressure point body mapping to the next level by assuring the pressure is dispersed consistently to give a more stable sleeping service, thus minimizing the ‘water bed’ effect.
Anatomical Body Map: The V-shaped pads are ultra-comfortable, designed to mimic the muscular structure of your back. By matching the contours of the human body, the Inertia XL and Static V naturally accommodate all body types and offer enhanced comfort over standard camping pads. You’ll find the neutral body map style in our most popular pad, the Static V. Our Static pads also assure the pressure is dispersed consistently to give a more stable sleeping service, thus minimizing the ‘water bed’ effect.
This exclusive, patent pending technology makes our camping pads the most versatile. Whether the pad is under your sleeping bag or inside of it, the pad allows your sleeping bag to stay puffy beneath you, capturing the warmth from your whole sleeping bag and not just the top. This technology allows the lightest, most compact and most comfortable camping pads on the market to also be breathable and keep you warmer.
Simply put, you can sleep in any condition for which your bag is rated.; As the graphic shows, other sleeping bags compress the insulation in the bottom of your sleeping bag whereas the Klymit camping pad utilizes loft pockets and deep welds to assure you are getting the insulation that was intended by your sleeping bag.
In 2009, Klymit started selling apparel and in 2013 Klymit began working with a sister company called NuDown to more effectively develop this revolutionary technology. You can still purchase the NuDown Squaw Peak vest and Mt. Whitney jacket on Klymit.com.
The key technology behind the Klymit NobleTek insulation is noble gas. The reason noble gases are such great insulators is because of their low thermal conductivity. On this graph you can see thickness on the bottom X-Axis and heat loss on the left Y-Axis. The thicker the insulation the less heat is lost. So the lower number on the graph, the better.
The top line on the graph is an average value for industry-leading natural and synthetic fibers. The bottom three lines are values for the noble gases, Argon, Krypton and Xenon. If you notice the yellow line, it shows how 4.5mm of Argon has the same thermal conductivity as about 14mm of fiber insulation. Notably, all other insulations are static and cannot change when temperatures vary, but noble gases are dynamic and allow you to have warmth on demand.
The 9 Core Benefits of NobleTek™Variable Insulation: Warmth on demand. Adjustable on the fly.
Warm When Wet: Maintains thermal properties when wet and even submerged.
Dynamic Channel Design: Ventilation is enhanced while deflated, yet when inflated NobleTek™ chambers conform to your body snugly, capturing your body heat.
Windproof: Pressurized chambers of gas never collapse when inflated and are unmoved by wind.
Thinner: Argon insulates up to three times better than the dead air which other insulation traps. Warmer and thinner.
Lighter: Argon is virtually weightless. Based on the volume of gas in the vest, you can change your insulation from that of a windbreaker to a full-on ski parka with no change in weight.
Safe: Breathe easily. We only use noble gases, which are non-toxic and non-flammable.
Eco-Friendly: The only insulation you will never see in a landfill.
Loft Retaining: Unlike traditional insulation, NobleTek™ will never lose its loft.